The Center was originally established as the Bureau of Business and Economic Research in 1943 to explore and report on economic, business, and social conditions in Arkansas. In addition to supporting research within the College, the Center supports economic development by providing economic and demographic data and analysis to business, government, and individuals.
Over the years, the Center has grown to become a well-known point for communications and exchange of ideas, research, publications and data for universities, businesses, government, and individuals. In addition, the Center serves as a focal point in providing assistance to faculty and students in experimentation with their ideas and techniques in both theoretical and applied research.
To support the research programs of the Sam M. Walton College of Business through:
- Assistance in securing and administering extramural support for research programs
- Effective communication of the relevance and importance of research results
- Acting as a force to shape College and University policy towards creating an environment conducive to producing the highest quality basic and applied research
To serve our constituents by:
- Providing a source of state-of-the-art business and economic analysis
- Providing timely, relevant information concerning business, economic and social conditions and issues in the state and region
- Developing, storing, and disseminating data relevant to the business, economic, and social conditions in Arkansas
- Organizing outreach programs and activities such as the annual Northwest Arkansas Business Forecast Luncheon
- Conducting research and providing analysis that supports economic development efforts in Arkansas.
- Compiling and disseminating economic and demographic data on Arkansas and its geographic subdivisions.
- Making population and economic growth projections for counties and areas within the state of Arkansas.
- Answering data requests from business, individuals and government units.
- Preparing economic profiles on requested areas in Arkansas.
- Conducting periodic briefings on current business conditions, in cooperation with various localities around the state.
- Hosting an annual economic forecast session featuring nationally known speakers.
- Supporting the Walton College students and faculty with applied research.
- Conducting applied economic research sponsored by Arkansas communities and institutions.